Thursday, April 06, 2006

not so fast

Lauren fasted Monday and Tuesday, until about 5 or so, when she declared herself needing to eat. Her will is strong, but during the day on Tuesday food was literally jumping into her hands to present itself to be eaten! How long could anyone withstand such an assault?

So she broke her fast, we ate one of our favorite simple meals - black beans and rice - and that was that. Wednesday we'd already planned to devour one of two grassfed beef strip steaks we picked up at the Trader Joe's down in LA. So it was that, following the Penguins' 6-4 loss to the Devils, we tucked in. I had succeeded in browning the exterior of the steak (cut into two approximately 6 ounce pieces) without letting the interior really cook at all.

Today, we're both fasting. I'm also grading papers, which could very well ruin my appetite anyway. I've dreaded grading papers this semester, much more than usual. It's practically never fun, with the extremely rare exception of papers that do something uniquely strange or profound. I suppose that reflects an inability on my part to provoke a level of creative and critical thought and writing that would produce such works of genius. On the other hand, I teach exclusively general education classes, and the level of student interest is always a little on the weak side.

Oh, alright! I'll start grading! Quit shoving already!

No comments: