Tuesday, November 13, 2007

dinner

Tonight, I'm making one of my favorites:

Doc Nagel's Top 100 Things

54. Meatloafs. Meatloaves? Whatever. I just love 'em.

We've all had meatloaf. Most of us, anyway. And most of the meatloaf we've had isn't terribly exciting stuff. Soda crackers, an egg, some milk, ketchup, plopped together. I never thought anything of it, despite my sister's love of the stuff (especially in the rather bizarre form of a meatloaf and peanut butter sandwich). My mom made this meatloaf. Your mom probably did too. Our moms love us, but their meatloaves don't prove it.

I first discovered meatloaf in the full sense from a joint in Mo-town called DeVa. They make a Mediterranean style meatloaf sandwich with tomato sauce and melted cheese. The meatloaf is a revelation: savory, spicy, even juicy. I've devoted myself to finding a way to create gourmet meatloaf ever since.

My current recipe involves ground beef, lamb, and pork, gobs of mustard, either salsa or tomato sauce, and the key ingredients: generous supplies of cumin and garlic. It's in the oven now, baking away.

And for crying out loud, use beef with some damn fat in it, people! You'll get baked cardboard if'n you don't. And add more garlic! More! MORE!

I've made tomato sauce today as well, so I can make us meatloaf sandwiches the DeVa way later this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree here. My Mom made some great meatloaf when I was a kid.

Baked in cream of whatever soup she had. Always lots of italian seasoning. Crispy and bubbly. That was some good stuff.

Of course, then she discovered ground turkey and it all went downhill from there.

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

I seem to remember there was a joint in Pittsburgh that sold a meatloaf sandwich that would choke a horse (but damn was it tasty).

Doc Nagel said...

I think Bobo may be recalling the Mystery Sandwich at Chiodo's in Homestead. There's little mystery to it: two hamburger patties, tomato sauce, Canadian bacon, melted cheese, served with hot Italian peppers.

In the proper frame of mind, and in the wrong company, it's rather like the bar food analogue of a suicide pact. I had more than my share, which is to say, more than one.

Chiodo's is famous for stocking dozens of bourbons and imported beers, and for drawing a fine pint of Guinness and Bass. And for the trough still attached to the underside of the bar, from the old days when it was a haunt for Ukrainian steel workers, who preferred to be able to relieve themselves right at the bar, so they wouldn't have to quit drinking.