Friday, May 26, 2006

possibly searching

We live in a part of the world where housing costs are completely ridiculous. The median sales price of a house in Modesto, for instance, is around $340,000, and the median income is under $50,000. Hardly anyone can reasonably afford to buy houses, so this is where people have started getting 50 year and 99 year mortgages. This can't last, it seems to me. But I don't know anything about real estate.

In any case, having looked at a couple mortgage calculators online, I can afford a house by being willing to pay $1700 a month in mortgage payments, if I could find a house for $230,000 or so. In that price range, you can buy a 690 square foot bungalow, if you can find one (there's one currently for sale). That's about 250 square feet smaller than our apartment. As a result, I regard myself as priced out of the homeowners' market here.

But we're thinking about someplace where we can grow tomatoes for ourselves. We checked out a townhouse joint today, and plan to go back to see one next week. Why the heck not?

Meanwhile, in Buffalo, the Sabres are getting beaten to a pulp. The Ducks are about to be stopped, so perhaps if I make a plea here that the "Carolina Hurricanes" should also be stopped, the Sabres will win the series. I could accept either Edmonton or Buffalo winning the Stanley Cup, but neither Anaheim nor "Carolina." That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

In other news, I wrote what may in fact be my first song last night, complete with lyrics. Maybe we'll record it soon. Who knows? We're crazy people.

No comments: