Saturday, December 31, 2005

What exactly is a new year, anyway?

In just over fifteen minutes, and in fact less by the time I'll have completed this entry, it'll be "the new year," 2006. I suppose we need these arbitrary measures of the passage of time, and as far as that goes, calling a year by any particular number would be as good as any other, as long as enough of us use the same number to make it a convenient common measure. But really, how is January 1st in any way a rational time, seasonally speaking, or in any other way, to declare it the new year? It's not the beginning of Winter, nor the end of Winter. It's not the beginning of any season. It's not the beginning of anything, except the so-called new year. Call me contrarian, but I frankly just don't get it.

Lauren's folks call New Year's Eve "Amateur Night," which I think needs no explanation. I had a phone call from my friend Annie around 10 (she's back East, so for her it was already 2006 and 1/8,760th). During our hour-long conversation, I saw three cars careen through the parking lot here in Speedbumpville, one of them turning sharply and too quickly into a parking spot and not stopping until it hit the curb. I'm glad we opted for an evening of game-playing, music, George Carlin, and of course the traditional New Year's Eve chicken tacos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blame the pope.

Pointy Headed Bastard!

Bob Kirkman said...

What was the Pope doing careening through Turlock?

Doc Nagel said...

I think the logic of the post suggests that the Pope was either (a) drunk or (b) looking for chicken tacos.

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

THAAAAAAT chickenPope!

No, wait, that was the tacos . . .

Doc Nagel said...

(ground chicken!)