Tuesday, January 08, 2008

nothing to do with the New Hampshire primary

I'll preface this by reporting briefly that I'd rather be playing my guitars right now, but I'm not, because I'm missing my right thumbnail and ring fingernail, both to accidents involving metal things. My thumbnail was gouged when I foolishly tried to open a door on campus with my right hand (I can only reliably open doors left-handed) and my thumbnail struck the metal plate around the door handle. I didn't trim it, and the tear weakened the nail's structural integrity enough that handling the Christmas turkey gravy preparation did it in. [No fingernail fragments were consumed during the dinner, I swear.] I forget what took my fingernail, but in any case, I'm left with long index, second, and pinky nails, and I can't functionally fingerpick my guitars this way.

This is especially distressing because of

Doc Nagel's Top 100 Things

42. D'Addario 12-string silk and steel guitar strings. I just love 'em.

For a year I've been experimenting with guitar strings. I was gaga for John Pearse phosphor bronze strings, but after putting D'Addario EXPs on my Takamine jumbo 12, and absolutely loving the sound, I decided more experimentation was in order.

I've always been tempted by silk/silver wound so-called "folk/fingerpicking" strings, and I have fallen head over heels and ass over teakettle in love with the sound of these things on my Breedlove. Songs I had tired of, or never felt happy with the sound of, now sound perfect to me. We've been working on a couple covers that I was constantly disappointed with, and now they're spot on, exactly the sound I wanted.

It makes sense. I had a Takamine classical forever, and the silk strings produce a sound somewhere between the classicals (especially the bases) and phosphor bronze. The stuff we do, and especially the stuff I write, is built for that kind of warm tone. The fingerpicked 12-string numbers sound incredible.

I'm gushing. I know. I gush.

Oh, yeah, and John Fahey is not allowed in the house. Lauren asked, as she has to on these occasions, whether he's not dead, and indeed he is, rest his twisted, tortured soul, but that's no reason to let him in. Sorry John. I adore your music, but you'll have to play outside.

1 comment:

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

The only silk-and-steel strings I ever grappled with was a set of Martins, which came only in medium gauge, and were, I thought, unwieldy as hell. The D'addario's I can't speak to, but since I swear by the D'ad's for my own use (J-41 12 String Extra Light), I might get around to trying them one of these days.

And "Nothing to do with the New Hampshire Primary:" could you be more specific? The New Hampshire Primary barely has anything to do with the New Hampshire Primary.