Sunday, December 09, 2007

how to go to concerts, apparently

I've been to two holiday music concerts this weekend: the Modesto Symphony Orchestra and Chorus Holiday Pops concert, guest-conducted by Steven Reineke, and the CSU Stanislaus Carolfest. The Carolfest was, as always, excellent. Reineke's pops stuff was sorta fruitcakey. But in both concerts I sat near people who sang along. I know this is sometimes the thing to do in pop/rock/etc. music, but the etiquette with orchestral music, so far as I know, is that you don't sing along with the trained singers, you sit in quiet enjoyment, or at least quietly so others can enjoy. Today we heard two people singing along, off-key with Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. It doesn't go like that, dummies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I missed it. I got there half an hour early, but it was already sold out. Bummer. Next year!

Doc Nagel said...

It's probably worth mentioning that Carolfest sells out every show. They sell no advance tickets to faculty, staff, or students. Absolutely none. A couple years ago they turned away a couple university vice-presidents at the box office.

In fact, they oversold the first show. I'm not sure what they did with the people who were standing.

It's also worth mentioning that over the past few years the choral music program at Stan State has reached an incredible level of performance.