Sunday, September 17, 2006

oops!

I mean to write a real post here sometime, maybe today, though I've got a mound of Aristotle to read in preparation for class Monday night, and some rabble-rousing to get to. It doesn't take much to put blogging on the back burner, largely because it's an almost entirely profitless exercise.

But, a question: Did the Pope make a mistake? How does that square with the whole "infallibility" bit? I recognize Ratzinger claimed he was just an interim Pope when he was elected, but does that give him a constantly ready excuse for such un-Popey acts as (nearly) apologizing for making (nearly bigoted) remarks about other religions? What next? A Papal Five-Seconds Rule that applies to dropped eucharistic wafers?

3 comments:

Bob Kirkman said...

I noticed that the Pope fell back on the trick often used by children: he did not actually apologize for his comments, he just said he was sorry that people reacted so badly. ("Oops. Sorry I got caught.")

I was wondering what we should make of the apparent reaction from some more extreme Muslims, resorting to violence against Catholics to express their rage at the Pope for implying that Islam is inherently violent . . .

Doc Nagel said...

That sounds like a potentially hazardous vortex of coimplication. But I'm reading Aristotle at the moment, so practically everything sounds like a potentially hazardous vortex of coimplication.

I hasten to point out that I am not reading Aristotle to, or with, the Pope.

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Let's all just pull in our horns before we start speculating about what would constitute a Papal Hat Trick.